PA Driving Rules & Resources
Our Driving Rules
- A $75 registration fee must be paid before any lessons can be scheduled.
- A permit must be with the student for the lesson to begin. Failure to have the permit in-hand will result in a late cancellation fee and lesson cancellation.
- Proper shoes required — no open-toe sandals.
- There is an $80 cancellation fee when lessons are canceled unless a minimum of 48 hours notice is given. The notice must be delivered by phone during regular business hours. (Mon. - Fri. 11 AM to 5 PM)
- Cancellations due to weather are at the discretion of Petaccio's Driving School.
- A contract is ensured by the person responsible for payment.
Pennsylvania Driving Rules
Obtaining Your Driver's License
An initial Learner's Permit is issued to any individual 16 years of age or older who has never been licensed to operate a vehicle, a new resident who has never been licensed, or a new resident who has been licensed in another state but whose driver's license has been expired longer than 6 months. If you are a new resident of PA, please visit our New Resident Information page.
Acquire a Pennsylvania Driver's Manual from the PA DMV website or this website. (Perform a search for "PA Driver's Manual").
Have a physician, physician assistant, certified registered nurse practitioner, or chiropractor conduct a physical examination and complete Form DL-180, "Medical Qualification Certificate."
Visit a Driver License Center with:
- The completed DL-180
- The completed DL-180TD (if under the age of 18). This form must be completed by a parent, guardian, or spouse 18 years of age or older.
- Proof of identity, which is listed on the reverse side of DL-180. Note: If you are changing your name, you must present original documents supporting name changes such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order.
- Two acceptable proofs of residency, listed on the reverse side of DL-180, if you are 18 years of age or older. Proof of residency is not required if you are age 16 or 17.
- Your Social Security card.
- A check or money order payable to PennDOT for the appropriate fee. (Cash is not accepted.)
An eye screening and Knowledge Test will be given. Once passed, a Learner's Permit will be issued. The Learner's Permit will be valid for one year. If you are under age 18, a six-month waiting period and 65 hours behind the wheel driving experience is required before taking the skills test.
Schedule a road test with us online or by calling 610-948-4979.